Saturday 20 April 2013

I cannot understand how anyone can be an Indian, and not be proud

Yesterday was the Indian national holiday, for the religious festival of Ram Navami. We decided to make the most of the day off, by first resting and then seeing some sights in Delhi.

Our original plan was to visit the Gandhi Smriti Museum... Our smug rickshaw driver dropped us off there - knowing full well it was closed!!! Not wanting to look foolish, we made quickly made a back up plan, and walked to the Indira Gandhi Memorial at 1 Akbar Road. She moved to this location, after her father - Jawaharlal Nehru- passed away, whilst she was a minister, and whilst she was prime minster until her assassination.

Not a big fan of museums, I wasn't overly enthused by the prospect of traipsing round her old home in sweltering heat and trying to navigate through throngs of people. I was proved completely wrong... The museum showed artefacts from the great lady's life, whilst showing her life history in both pictorial and word format.

As I scanned all the information, so many of the famous quotes struck me. They not only teased my philosophical side, but also my feminist side. The theme of many of Indira Gandhi's quotes, fitted so perfectly with my last two blog entries, with the focus being on freedom and justice. Please allow me to share some of the touching quotes -

'While my family was not orthodox enough to consider the birth of a girl a misfortune, it did regard the male child as a necessity and a necessity. My grandfather compensated, by calling me his grandson and I grew up a tomboy. "This daughter of Jawahar, for all you know, may prove better than a thousand sons".'

That was in 1917. How can we be living in an age, almost 100 years later, where girls are still seen as inferior?! Surely, we should have learnt from Indira Gandhi's example. She was an inspiration to Indians, but particularly to Indian women. We should use her example to inspire others that anything is possible.

"Do not shed blood, shed hatred"

'In the heart of a truly non violent person there is a profound belief that hate can only be driven out by love, that anger can only be conquered by compassion, and that fear can only be overcome by courage.' Rajiv Gandhi

Those were just a few of the quotes, but notably my favourite.

Will leave you with these thoughts for now.

Gloria, Marty & Melman xxx



1 comment:

  1. Mrs Indira Gandhi's era in power was comparable to that of Mrs Margaret Thatcher's in UK. She was the Iron lady of India. We need more female rulers in India and across the world to bring changes in equality.

    ReplyDelete